Cubs have reached agreement with Clayton Richard.
Tendered contracts to: T Wood, J Grimm, Arrieta, Strop, Rondon, and Coghlan.
Will have a write up on the tender deadline moves across league coming up…
UPDATE::: 6:05 PM
Greinke reportedly looking at receiving 6/210 million offer from LA Dodgers
Mets have top priority is Ben Zobrist, also showing interest in Dexter Fowler.
Former White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham has signed on with the Braves at 1/1.25.
Jayson Stark reports that Samardijza may have $100 million deal on the table.
If that’s the case then passing on Shark becomes a no-brainer.
- Jerry Crasnick on Twitter indicates that Will Venable is receiving interest from Indians and Orioles.
If Venable ends up not being an Indian could have ripple effects of Cubs being able to increase bargaining position on potential Pitcher, Outfielder swap.
- Yonder Alonso has reportedly been traded to the Oakland A’s in exchange for Drew Pomeranz and Jose Torres. Clubs have yet to confirm.
UPDATE::: 12:35 PM
- Cubs and Rex Brothers come to terms– avoiding arbitration. Settle on 1.42 milllion. Another under-the-radar, savvy move by Cubs front office to add bullpen quality-depth. Rex Brothers was acquired from Rockies in exchange for 18-year old minor leaguer Wander Cabrera back on November 25th.
Expect a busy day after Price signed yesterday with the Red Sox. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Zack Greinke signed by the end of the day. Additionally, Bruce Levine stated he thinks that the Cubs are getting closer on making a splash whether it be by trade or free agency with some thinking that could come today. Levine thinks one or two moves will likely take place before Sunday night. Don’t forget to keep checking back here for the MLB Rumor updates as we continue to add throughout the day. You can subscribe to get notifications sent directly to you. Now onto the fun stuff:
- In a move to try to replace some power that will be lost if Chris Davis leaves in free agency, the Orioles and Mariners agreed to a trade that will send Mark Trumbo and likely another minor piece to Baltimore in exchange for catcher Steve Clevenger. Clevenger was the last remaining piece of the trade between Chicago Cubs and Baltimore Orioles that brought back Jake Arrieta for the Cubs. Marking the end to one of the worst trades in Baltimore Orioles history.
- David Price signed with the Boston Red Sox in a record-breaking contract. At 7/217 million dollars, Price will make nearly 1 million per start. As discussed here at CubsChat, fans reacted in different ways to hearing Price sign with a team not named the Chicago Cubs. My opinion on the deal is the Cubs made the wise move of spreading their resources around and not making a long-term commitment that would have put the Cubs at risk of losing core players when their current cost-controlled crop becomes expensive.
- After signing Brayan Pena yesterday, the Cardinals shipped off backup catcher Tony Cruz to the Royals in exchange for minor-league infielder Jose Martinez.
- Nori Aoki has agreed to terms with the Seattle Mariners pending physical according to Jon Heyman. Aoki hit .287/.353.380 in 93 games for the Giants last season. New GM Jerry Dipoto has made significant strides in overhauling the roster already this offseason for the Mariners.
- Found a nice piece on how the Braves are “smitten” with Soler. The article indicates that the Braves would have to part with “more than Teheran, they’d have to part with Miller.” That may be the case, I personally like Teheran more as he comes at a fixed cost following his contract extension as opposed to the uncertainty of arbitration, as well as he had less walks and more strikeouts per 9 innings. That’s just my take on the two pitchers. However, as always…I will trust our front offices management if we do end up hooking up with Braves on a deal.