Just a quick recap to help folks keep track of what’s happening down on the farm.
The Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A+) lost a tough one tonight 4-3 to the Salem Red Sox.
- Yasiel Balaguert had a big night at the plate going 3 for 4 and 2 RBI’s raising his average to .310 for the year
- Ian Happ continues to show his elite hitting with another 2 hits tonight and is watching his batting average creep up to .329. Not bad after a cold start.
- Trevor Clifton started on the bump and gave the Pelicans 5 innings. Unfortunately he was lifted after giving up 5 hits and 2 walks and allowing 2 ER’s. He also had 4 strikeouts. We know this kid has better stuff to show us!
- But it was Ryan McNeil that got hit with the loss after giving up 2 ER’s in 2 innings of relief. He gave up 3 hits and walked one while also striking out 2.
In Tennessee (AA) it was a tight game until the 8th inning. That’s win the Smokies open a large can of Whoop Ash and put a big 7 runs on the board. This turned into a laugher with the final score being 8 to 3 for the good guys over Biloxi.
- Chesny Young still making folks take notice of him with a 4 for 5 night. He has 2 RBI’s and now has some video game #’s with a .410 average
- Jacob Hannemann had a slow start but now the CF’er recorded 3 more hits and has a respectable .271 average. We really like this kid for his hard nosed play and might be a crowd favorite if he pushes his way to the show. We see him as a solid 4th or 5th outfielder.
- As we reported earlier on the CubsChat Facebook Fan page, Duane Underwood made his debut tonight for the Double A Smokies. He threw 4 innings and 73 pitches with 45 pitches for strikes. He gave up 4 hits and 1 walk while striking out 2 batters. He got marked down with 1 ER. Not bad for a debut and can’t wait to see his next performance.
The Iowa Cubs (AAA) played small ball today. The 8th inning saw Ryan Kalish get on base with a single, steal 2nd and then 3rd. He then scored on a Sac Fly by Logan Watkins. That my friends is called the #CubsWay!
- Bad news for Albert Almora as he was taken out of the game early and was seen walking to the clubhouse early with the trainers close by. We might hear more news tomorrow. Almora has been hot as a pistol and we hope this isn’t something that keeps him from the playing field.
- Kalish is now hitting .408 and is making it known he wants to get his ticket punched for the show. He can play all 3 outfield spots so stay tuned.
- Not much offense tonight but Jake Buchanan had a nice night on the mound throwing 6 complete innings. He only gave up 1 hit, walked 2 and 5 strikeouts! We would like a second helping of that stuff please. Nice job Jake (no the other Jake).